How to Get a Colorado Red Card
5 Steps to Getting Your Colorado Red Card
The medical marijuana industry is always changing. At MMJ America, we do our best to make it easy to understand for our patients and for prospective medical marijuana patients as well. In order to shop at a legal marijuana dispensary in Colorado, you need to have a Red Card. Read this easy How-To-Guide to see if medical marijuana is right for you and get started on your Colorado Red Card application process.
Approved Debilitating Conditions
Approved Conditions With Physician’s Certification
Find a doctor near you.
– Severe pain
– Severe nausea
– Persistent muscle spasms
The following conditions have been denied by the state:
– Bipolar Disease
– Crohn’s Disease
– Diabetes Mellitus, types 1 & 2
– Diabetic Retinopathy
– Hepatitis C
– Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
– Opioid Dependence
– Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
– Severe Anxiety and Clinical Depression
– Tourette’s Syndrome
After you and your doctor have decided that medical marijuana is right for you, you are ready to apply to the Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry.
– Start by filling out the Application form completely and neatly.
– Make sure you specify if you are a “New” applicant or a “Renewal” applicant.
– If you are a renewal applicant, send your application 45 – 60 days before your current Red Card expires.
– Get your application notarized. The notary may not be the caregiver, patient’s physician or person signing the form of payment. We recommend using your local bank for a notary.
– Make sure that the date of the signature and the date of the notary are the same.
– Forms must be submitted within 10 days of notary’s signature.
Once you have finished filling out the application, submit all of your paperwork in one envelope. Here is what your complete application should include:
– A completed, signed and notarized application form
– Physician’s Certification Form signed by your doctor at the time of your evaluation
– Copy of your identification
– A clearly legible copy of your Colorado driver’s license or state ID
– A clearly legible copy of your out-of-state driver’s license or state ID, and proof of residency such as a pay stub or utility bill.
If you don’t have a Colorado ID, you will need to fill out this Proof of Residency Form.
– Application Fee -or- Fee Waiver/Tax Exempt Status Form
– Cash and temporary checks are not accepted for the fee, write a check or money order payable to CDPHE for the amount of $35.00. Include the patient’s name on the form of payment.
– If you are submitting a Fee Waiver/Tax Exempt Status Form, also send a certified copy of your most recent Colorado tax return
– If you are mailing your application, send it via certified mail to this address:
HSV – 8608
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246 – 1530
– If you are dropping off your application please go to the southeast entrance of Building C at the Colorado Department of Public Health Monday – Friday from 7:00a – 6:00p. The box is located inside the first set of glass doors. The address of the location is 710 S. Ash Street, Denver, CO 80246-1530
– Submit all application components in one sealed envelope
– Send your application by Certified Mail if you would like a receipt of your submission of your Red Card application
– If you make a mistake, complete a new form. Do not cross-out, write over or use white-out to correct information
– Send only one application per envelope. If more than one application is sent in one envelope they will be rejected
– Forms must be sent within 60 days of your Physician’s Exam
– Once you receive your Red Card in the mail you are officially a legal Colorado Medical Marijuana Patient!
– Come into any of our MMJ dispensary locations to fill out our caregiver form and we will take care of the rest of this step for you.
– Immediately enjoy your Red Card with the benefits of being a member with MMJ America!